Tips for marketing on social media

Tips for marketing on social media

We are so grateful for the support we get.  We know how hard it is for small businesses to get off the ground and we know how lucky we were that our’s was kicked started by a couple of our videos going viral on TikTok. 

We believe in helping others achieve their dreams and we want to encourage other new businesses to succeed. Maybe you are looking for a new start for the new year, so here are the answers to some of the questions we get asked and our top tips for young entrepreneurs.

What social media platforms do you use for marketing?

Our most used platforms are definitely TikTok, Instagram, and more recently Pinterest. We use platforms that our target market is active on. These platforms allow us to make fun content that not only shows off our clothing but also conveys the Dibo Bodi culture.

Which is the most effective for you and why?

Our target demographic is between 17 and 30, so it’s easier to connect with them on the platforms they are most active on. We find it easiest to 'go viral' on TikTok and in doing so it has enabled us to reach people all over the world.  

Three top tips for TikTok

- People are now using TikTok as a search engine in competition to Google so we include embedded keywords in our videos and captions. Sometimes when we don't want people to see the text on the video we disguise it by making it white and small or by hiding it in the corner on a white background.

- Niche your content. Viewers want familiarity and to know what you are about.  Viewers don't like to be confused. Think of it like going to a restaurant, if you go to a Thai restaurant and they have fish and chips and burgers on their menu it wouldn't be authentic.  That's not to say you can't change your niche or explore if things are not working or when your audience gets a bit bored. 

- Consistency. You have to be willing to post often and produce something new and fun every day. If you create a video post it, don't leave it in draft because you never know which of your posts will go viral.  The more content you produce the more likely you will go viral. TikTok is a game of numbers.

We have so many more tips for TikTok we might have to write a separate blog on this!

Three top tips for Instagram

To be honest Instagram is a lot more work for us to gain followers and engagement.  We mainly use it like it's a catalog with links to products on our website.  

- We are starting to create more reels because video is king.  Video keeps the viewer on the app and if you manage that the app with reward you by pushing your content in front of more viewers (that's not just an Instagram tip it goes for all platforms).

- Try to encourage engagement through polls or questions.  The algorithm depends on views and engagement.  When you are posting ask yourself does your post entertain, inform or educate.  Use the 80/20 rule.  Only try to sell 20% of the time and use the other 80% to connect with your followers

⁃ Find an Aesthetic. Everyone loves something that’s pretty. Make sure your feed always looks like it goes together and follows a certain mood or colour board.  You can plan your posts and work out your grid with apps.  Apps also remind you to keep posting consistently!

Let us know if this was helpful in the comments below.

Back to blog

Leave a comment